London 2012 on The Record
Published on 13th August 2012
Suffolk Record Office is to build a permanent record celebrating Suffolk's participation in the London 2012 Olympic Games and they are keen to hear from people involved in local projects and events.
'The Record: London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and the Cultural Olympiad' aims to capture the impact of London 2012 on local communities, individuals, families, businesses, schools and groups and preserve it for use by current and future generations.
The London 2012 Games has generated numerous initiatives and projects across the county in many areas from sport to culture, volunteering, education and more, with each delivering legacy benefits and creating legacy records.
Suffolk Record Office is keen to hear from local people about the projects and events they have been involved in and what records have been created relating to both official and unofficial activity.
Information may include paper and electronic records, audio recordings, photographs and ephemera that contribute to the rich long term memory of this momentous year in Suffolk.
- Were you involved in or witness the torch relay and took photographs as it came through your community on its travels through Suffolk?
- Did your school or community organise an event to celebrate the torch relay e.g. a sports day?
- Has your business supplied goods or services to the Games?
- Have you hosted members of an Olympic team or been to see them training?
- Have you been involved in a Cultural Olympiad event e.g. Big Dance DanceEast Speigeltent, Crash of the Elysium, Margaret Catchpole, Aldeburgh World Orchestra, Suffolk Shines, Summer Reading Challenge - Story Lab, Suffolk Celebrates, Suffolk Open Weekend and so on?
- Were you involved in ringing Suffolk's bells on 27th July?
- Will you be involved in the Suffolk Paralympic Flame Celebrations at Needham Market?
- Has your school or sports club received a grant to improve its facilities?
- Have you been involved in the Games as a Games Maker, official, opening/closing ceremony participant, coach or athlete?
- Have you developed or been involved in a project that was awarded a London 2012 Inspire Mark?
If so, take a look at this leaflet to see how you can donate copies of your information to the Suffolk Record Office for use by future generations.
If you would like further information about the project please contact them by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting any of the record office branches.
More articles in the news archive.