Elections in 2013
County Council Elections - Thursday 2nd May 2013
Notice of Election published - Thursday 21st March 2013
Candidates announced - Friday 5th April 2013
Notice of Election Agents published - Wednesday 10th April 2013
Notice of Poll and Situation of Polling Stations published - Friday 12th April 2013
On Thursday 2nd May 2013, voters in Waveney went to the polls to elect their representatives for Suffolk County Council.
Voters had to ensure they were registered at their current address on the Electoral Register by Wednesday 17th April 2013 in order to be able to vote on 2nd May.
County Council elections happen every 4 years. For these elections, the Waveney district area is divided into electoral areas called 'county divisions', and electors are asked to vote for a representative (or in some cases 2 representatives) for their division.
The divisions in Waveney and the number of councillors representing them is shown below:
- Beccles - 2 councillors
- Bungay - 1 councillor
- Gunton - 2 councillors
- Halesworth - 1 councillor
- Kessingland and Southwold - 1 councillor
- Lowestoft South - 2 councillors
- Oulton - 2 councillors
- Pakefield - 2 councillors
To find out which county division you live in, you can use the independently run 'write to them' service which allows you to enter your post-code and search for your current councillors. The name of your division is shown in the first line of the County Council section where it says 'Your ***** County Councillor is'. Alternatively you can contact the Waveney Elections Office on 01502 523238 or by email , and they can advise you which division you live in.
Further information about your current County Councillor(s) can be found on the Suffolk County Council website.
The key dates in the timetable for these elections were:
- Midday - Friday, 5th April 2013 - deadline for nominations to stand as a candidate. All persons wishing to stand as a candidate for these elections must have submitted a nomination paper by noon on this date to become a validly nominated candidate. Once this deadline has passed, we will know who the candidates for the election will be.
- 5pm - Wednesday, 17th April 2013 - Deadline to register to vote, and to register to vote by post for this election. Anyone wishing to add their name to the Register for voting, or to vote by post for this election, must submit a completed application form by this deadline. This is also the deadline to make any changes to an existing postal vote arrangement.
- 5pm - Wednesday, 24th April 2013 - Deadline to register to vote by proxy. Anyone wishing to appoint a proxy to cast their vote on their behalf for this election must submit a completed proxy vote application form by this deadline.
- 7:00am to 10:00pm - Thursday, 2nd May 2013 - POLLING DAY
Although these elections are for Suffolk County Council, they are run locally by the Elections Team at Waveney District Council.
For further information about the County Council elections please contact the Waveney Elections Office either by telephone on 01502 523238 or by email.