Benefit information for students
Full time students
Most full time students in higher, full time education, cannot claim housing or council tax benefit because the Government expects full time students to be funded through other schemes, such as student loans, bursaries, grants and access funds. If you are not sure if this includes you, your tutor will be able to tell you.
You may be able to claim if you are the student and:
- you are receiving Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance Income based or Employment Support Allowance Income Related.
- you are a lone parent
- you are disabled
- you are a single foster parent.
- you are in couple in which you're both students with a child/children
- you are in a couple in which you're both students with a foster child/children
- You are in further education (not higher education)
- you are on a part-time course
- you are taking a break from your course in order to care for someone who is ill, which has been agreed by your education establishment
If you are the partner of a student, you can make a claim for benefit.
If you are struggling to cope on your student income, speak to your university or college. You might also want to read the Government's advice to students.