Our responsibilities and service
In the Waveney district, we aim to ensure that safe food is produced; food poisoning and infectious diseases are kept to a minimum; and places of work are safe.
Help us to help you by notifying us quickly when you have a problem with food hygiene or safety and bring all food which is the subject of a complaint to us as soon as possible.
Waveney District Council's Food and Safety team is responsible for enforcing food safety law in the district, including:
- Inspection of food businesses and enforcement of food safety law
- Investigating complaints about food that is sold or manufactured locally
- Following up complaints about food businesses
- Investigating cases and outbreaks of food poisoning and infectious disease
- Sampling food and drink from food businesses
- Registration of food businesses
- Responding to national food incidents to ensure local businesses are aware and have removed suspect foods from sale
- Managing food incidents locally
The Team also provides additional services to assist local businesses and residents, including:
- Food safety training courses
- Advice and guidance on good food hygiene standards
- Food safety award schemes
- Promoting healthy lifestyles through various projects and initiatives
- Free leaflets on a range of food safety topics
Information about the aims and objectives of the food service can be found in Waveney District Council's latest Food Service Plan.
To ensure the public receives a good quality service, the food safety work undertaken by Waveney may be audited by the Food Standards Agency.