Local Council Tax Reduction
Second Adult Rebate
Second Adult rebate is designed to replace all or part of the Single Person Discount that is lost if a single liable person shares a home with a person on a low income.
You can claim Second Adult Rebate if the person you share your home with is:
- not your partner or civil partner
- aged 18 or over
- not paying you rent
- not paying Council Tax themselves
- on a low income and
- you would qualify for a Single Person discount if that person did not live with you.
You do not have to be on a low income yourself to qualify. When calculating, we only look at the income of the person living with you.
How much can I reduce my council tax bill by?
- If the person living with you is on an income based benefit you may receive a 25% discount. That is a discount of £250 off a £1000 bill.
- If the person living with you has an income less than £177, you may receive a 15% discount. That is a discount of £150 off a £1000 bill.
- If the person living with you has an income between £177 and £230.99 you may receive a discount of 7.5%, which is £75 off a £1000 bill.