Waveney District Council

Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

If you get some Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing element but are having difficulty paying the rest of your rent yourself, you may be able to get a discretionary housing payment. Or if you are considering moving to more affordable accommodation, you may be able to get a discretionary housing payment to help with your rent in advance, your rent deposit or to help with other costs associated with your move, such as removal costs.

When can a discretionary housing payment be made?

A discretionary housing payment can be paid to you if we believe that you need further help with housing costs.
A discretionary housing payment cannot be paid if the reason for the shortfall is that your housing benefit or Universal Credit housing element has been reduced to recover an overpayment.

Who can get a discretionary housing payment?

In addition to the above, there are no rules about who can get discretionary housing payments. We will usually take into account any special circumstances that contribute to your financial difficulties. We will need to see evidence of your expenses such as your household bills. We will consider the reasons you may need to stay in your property or use the information from your discretionary housing payment application to help you take steps to improve your circumstances.

What will be considered?

  • If you have any loans or debts
  • If you or anyone in your house is ill or disabled
  • If you have tried to put the situation right yourself
  • If you have considered moving to more affordable accomodation
  • If anyone in your house can help towards your rent shortfall
  • Your income
  • Your savings
  • Your expenditure

Application form for a Discretionary Housing Payment (Housing Benefit) and/or Exceptional Hardship Payment (Council tax)
Freedom of Information requests

We have published two reports, due to the large number of requests for information regarding the Discretionary Housing Payment fund, under the Freedom of Information Act.



Contact us

Telephone: 01502 562111

Send your feedback or find key contact details.



Please have your National Insurance or Benefit Registration number ready when you contact us.

Address: Marina Centre
(next to Marina Theatre)
NR32 1HH

Tel: 01502 523535

Email: benefits.wdc@eastsuffolk.gov.uk