Waveney District Council

Refuse collection

View pages in this section

Purchase and replacement of wheeled bins

Recycling figures success

Why should I pay for my own bins?

In accordance with the Environmental Protection Acts, Waveney District Council are obliged to provide all households with suitable receptacle's for the disposal of household waste, black for residual waste and blue for dry recyclables. Whilst under no obligation we also supply a green Bin for garden waste.

These bins are used by householders but remain the property of the Council. Effectively we issue the bins on a long-term loan basis.

Due to the number of bins being lost and the subsequent cost of replacing them, we have adopted a system of charging for replacement bins in line with many other Councils.

What does it cost?

The cost of replacing a lost or stolen bin will be £28.00 . This will cover the cost of replacing the bin together with administration and delivery charges.

If I buy a replacement bin, does it then become my property?

No. The original bin belonged to the Council. Should you lose property belonging to the Council you need to replace it. Therefore, any bin bought to replace a lost/stolen bin would again remain the property of the Council.

What if my bin is damaged or lost by the refuse crew?

Should the refuse crew be responsible for damaging your bin or if it falls into the rear of the refuse vehicle we will repair it or replace it free of charge.

What if I refuse to pay for a replacement?

If you refuse to pay for a replacement bin, Waveney District Council would still fulfil its' obligations under the Environmental Protection Act by issuing you with one plastic sack per week for your household waste.

What if I cannot afford to pay?

There will be a 50% reduction in the charge for the replacement bin (£14.00) if you can prove you are in receipt of one of the following:

1. Income support.
2. Housing Benefit.
3. Disability Allowance

Proof of this entitlement will be required when you apply for a replacement bin. This reduction does not apply to the purchase of a second Blue Bin.

What if I get rid of my own refuse and withold part of my Council tax?

You may dispose of your household waste yourself at one of the local waste disposal sites.
This does not however absolve you from your legal obligation to pay the full amount of Council Tax for your property band.

Can I buy a second bin for my waste?

Unless you are in a household with the relevant special requirement you are not allowed to have a second Black Bin. Second black bins are usually only issued for either of two reasons:
  1. to assist large families, having six or more people normally resident in their household
  2. to assist persons who generate extra waste due to a recognised medical condition/treatment eg kidney dyalisis

This special requirement also applies to the Blue Recycle Bin, but the opportunity exists for the purchase on a "long-term" basis, a second Blue Bin for a one off payment of £28.00

How can I stop it being stolen again?

1. Mark the bin clearly with your address or at least the house number.
2. Do not place the bin out too early. (Bins should be placed out for 6am and not the night before or any other time).
3. Bins should be collected as soon as possible after emptying.
4. Check that your neighbour has not inadvertently taken your bin or that it has been misplaced.

Different size bins

All of our wheeled bins are available in two sizes: the "standard" 240 litre, or smaller 140 litre size. Any householder wanting to swop sizes (some wish to lose small for large) should simply email or call us using the details below with their requirements, plus name, address and contact telephone number.

To arrange for a new, replacement or different size bin, complete the online form on the "purchase and replacement bins page" or contact one of our offices


Contact us

Telephone: 01502 562111

Send your feedback or find key contact details.


Refuse Collection

Tel: 01502 527100

Email: waveney.info@ncsgrp.co.uk